Tambittu Ladoo Recipe North-Karnataka Special | Tambittu Unde Recipe
Hello friends Manjiri’s Foods welcomes you all.
Explore our collection of Vegetarian recipes, Rice recipes, Breakfast recipes, lunchbox recipes, Gravy, south Indian recipes, quick recipes, North Indian, Curry, Side dishes, parathas, sweets and desserts and many more..
Naga Chavithi and Naga Panchami are the festivals to worship Nag Devatas (Serpent Gods). Naga Chavithi is mainly a women’s festival. Naga Chavithi is celebrated all over India. Especially in Karnataka and Maharashtra by women for their wellbeing of and their children and family. On this day women keep fast and observe Naga Puja. They offer milk to Sarpa Devata at the Hutta or Valmeekam or Putta (snake pits). In homes clay idols of Naga are worshipped. Or the idol made of silver and copper are also used.
Naagara Panchami is a celebrated-on 5th day of Shravana month or Shravana maasa. People go to temples and snake pits and they worship the snakes. They offer milk to the Cobras. Turmeric and yellow flowers are used in the pooja and are considered as precious.
There are so many special dishes made on this day. It is believed that rice dishes and laddus are liked by Naaga devata. Varieties of dishes like halbai, Kadabu, Ladoo (unde), arishina ele Kadabu, ellu panchakajjaya etc., The dishes or recipes prepared on Nagara Panchami varies from region to region. One such special dish of Karnataka to celebrate Nagara Panchami is Tambittu Unde or Roasted Bengal gram Ladoo.
Servings: 25 Ladoo
Preparation: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
Made On: Naga Chaturthi and Naga Panchami
- Putane or Roasted Bengal Gram: Four bowls
- Ghee: One and half bowl
- Jaggery: Two and half bowls
- Dry coconut: One bowl
- White Sesame: Half Bowl
- Khuskhus or Poppy Seeds: Two tea spoons
- Dry fruits mix: Two tea spoons
- Cardamom Powder: One tea spoon
Firstly, ground Putane in a mixer to make fine powder.
Secondly, dry roast grated coconut (dry), White sesame and poppy seeds.
Thirdly, put two tea spoons of ghee in a pan and fry dry fruits.
Fourthly, add one bowl of ghee and melt it. Then add jaggery and melt it in ghee. When jaggery starts bubbling then switch off the flame.
Making of Tambittu Ladoo Recipe North-Karnataka Special | Tambittu Unde Recipe
Take small portion of the ladoo mixture and add hot jaggery. Mix it and start making ladoos immediately as Putane powder becomes dry very quickly and it becomes tough to shape ladoos. Apply ghee on your hands so the temperature of the mixture is hot.
First make ladoo in round or circular shape and then press both the ends to make it flat. Flattened shape of the ladoo is the uniqueness of this recipe.
Repeat the procedure with remaining ladoo mixture and jaggery. If jaggery becomes hard then put it on the flame and melt it again.
Step by step photos of Tambittu Ladoo Recipe North-Karnataka Special | Tambittu Unde Recipe
Grind roasted Bengal gram or Putane in a mixer to make fine powder.
Dry roast coconut, white sesame and poppy seeds.
Roast dry fruits in two tea spoons of ghee
Add all the roasted ingredients to Putane powder and mix well.
Add melted jaggery to ladoo mixture.
1. As Putane becomes soft over the time, it is not grounded finely. In that case roast Putane till they become crisp and then grind.2. Once the jaggery is added do not waste the time, start making ladoos immediately. other wise mixture become dry and it is impossible to bind the ladoos.3. If jaggery becomes thick or hard. Heat it and melt it again.4. If ladoo mixture becomes too dry heal two spoons of ghee and add.5. Store ladoos in an air tight container and use them for a month.6. You can add powdered sugar instead of jaggery. In that case you have to roast the Putane powder in ghee and then add sugar to it.
Why is Naga Panchami celebrated?
There is a religious belief that on the day of Nag Panchami Lord Krishna honored Kalia Nag and forced him to leave the Yamuna River and reside in the sea. On this auspicious occasion, the tradition of celebrating the festival of Nag Panchami began. It is believed that anyone who fasts and worships Nag Panchami fulfils their wishes.
What not to do on Naga Panchami?
- It is said that on the day of Nag Panchami, do not put an iron pan on fire or cook food on the iron pan on this day or there may be great harm.
- On the day of Nag Panchami, do not plough on the earth as it can kill a snake.
- Cooking should be done without cutting vegetables, rolling of rotis and no frying.
You may also try my other recipes..
I hope you are going to try this recipe. If you made this comment and tell me how you liked this recipe.
Please SUBSCRIBE to my blog so that you won’t miss any recipes in the future. Press the FOLLOW button and help me to grow..
See you in my next recipe; till then Eat healthy and Stay healthy..