Tomato Kaju Gravy Recipe
Cuisine: North Indian Servings: Four
Preparation: 10 Minutes Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
Today we are going to make a Gravy with Tomato and Kaju. It is a rich and creamy gravy with mild and sweet taste. Kids will love this as it is not spicy.
- Kaju or Cashews: Eight to Ten Kajus
- Poppy Seeds: Two Teaspoons
- Cinnamon: One inch
- Cloves: Three to four
- Ginger: One Inch Peeled
- Green Chilies: Three to Four
- Garlic: Four to five Cloves (Optional)
- Coriander Leaves: A handful
For the Gravy:
- Tomatoes: Four
- Onion: One big (Optional)
- Jeera: One teaspoon
- Salt: As per taste
- Sugar: One tea spoon (Optional)
- Turmeric: Half tea spoon
- Butter or Ghee: Two table spoon (you can use Oil also)
- Butter: One Table spoon
- Mustard: One tea spoon
- Red Chili Powder: one half tea spoon
- Soak Kaju and Poppy seeds in water in a bowl for half an hour.
- Wash tomatoes and cut them roughly.
- Cut the Onion into cubes.
- Peel the ginger and garlic.
- Wash coriander
- In a kadai put one spoon of butter or ghee and let it become warm.
- Add Jeera and splutter it.
- Add Cinnamon and cloves and fry them.
- Add garlic and fry till they are pink.
- Add ginger and green chilies and fry them.
- Add coriander and sauté for a minute and take the kadai off the stove.
- Cool it completely.
- In a mixer jar add the sautéed masala, Soaked kaju and poppy seeds along with water.
- Grind all the ingredients to a fine paste.
Making Tomato Kaju gravy:
- In a kadai add two spoons of butter or ghee.
- Add onion cubes when it becomes warm and sauté them till, they become translucent.
- Add tomatoes and fry them. Cover the lid and cook for couple of minutes or till tomatoes are soft.
- Add ground masala paste and water, give it a good mix.
- Add salt, turmeric and sugar.
- Cook it for five minutes and stirring in between.
- Adjust the consistency by adding water if required.
- Take off from the stove when done.
- In a small kadai add remaining butter or ghee.
- Add mustard and splutter it.
- Then add red chili powder and stir it.
- Pour the tempering on Tomato kaju Gravy.
- Serve with Rotis, Puris, Chapati and Rice.
Step by step Cooking of Tomato Kaju Gravy Recipe.
Soak Kaju and Poppy Seeds in very little water.
Cut Tomatoes and Onion into cubes.
Add cinnamon, Ginger, Cloves and green chilies.
Add coriander and sauté for one minute. You can add freshly grated coconut here. I skipped it because I ran out of coconut.
After cooling the fried masala ingredients transfer them into a mixer jar and add garlic to it.
Add soaked Kaju and poppy seeds along with water.
Grind all the ingredients to a fine paste.
In a kadai add Two spoons butter and jeera and fry them.
Then add onions and tomatoes to it and sauté till they are soft.
Then add ground masala paste to it and add water.
Check the consistency in-between and add water if required.
Add salt, sugar and turmeric. Give it a good mix. Close the lid and cook for five minutes.
In a small kadai add one spoon butter or ghee. Add mustard and splutter. Then add one tea spoon red chili powder. Pour the whole tempering on the Tomato kaju gravy.
Serve the tasty and creamy Tomato Kaju Gravy with Puris, Chapatis, Naans and rice.
Some of my other Gravy dishes
Hope you all will enjoy this recipe. Please comment and let me know how you make this in any other method.
Till then stay healthy and take care.