Baingan Bharta Recipe
Cuisine: North Indian, Maharashtrian and Karnataka.
Type: Side Dish.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes.
Served with: Roti, Chapati and Paratha.
Hello friends, Manjiri’s Foods welcome you all
Baingan bharta recipe(mashed eggplant) is a very famous and most tasty Indian side dish. Baingan bharta is a part of most of Indian’s meals. In India, it is made in different styles according to the region, with different ingredients varying from one region to another. It is liked by most of my family members. But it is not on my plate till date. I learned this recipe from my aunt and my mother-in-law (and both methods are different) but, make it in my way.
Baingan Bharta Recipe or fire roasted eggplant mash what you can call it is, served with roti or parathas. Grilling the baingan or eggplant over charcoal or direct fire enhances the dish with a smoky flavour. This unique Baingan Bharta recipe has too little spices yet very tasty. Because it is plant based you can call it Vegan. Of course it is gluten-free. Baingan bharta is a very popular dish in Maharashtra where it is called as Vangyachi Bharit, Badanekai Bhajji in Karnataka and Baingan Bharta in North India. In Bihar and Uttar Pradesh, it is served hot with litti or baati.
Some vegetables are very popular and used all over while others have very limited use, Baingan or the eggplant is one of the not so famous vegetable. According to my observation kids would never eat this vegetable.
Baingan Bharta Recipe is fire roasted and mashed and added with spices. There are different ways of making this bharta. Today I am going to make the way my mother-in-law used to make it.
How to Make Baingan Bharta Recipe
- Baingan: Big one used for Bharta
- Onion: Medium One
- Green chili: Two to Three or as required
- Garlic: Four to five cloves (Optional)
- Ginger: Half inch
- Coriander leaves: Four to five spoons chopped.
- Salt: As per taste.
- Sugar: One Tea spoon (Optional)
- Curds: One small bowl (Optional)
- Tempering: Oil, Mustard, Jeera, White sesame, Hing, Turmeric and Kadi patta.
- Rinse the eggplant or Baingan and pat dry. Apply oil all over. Put the Baingan directly on heat and roast, turn it often and roast until completely roasted.
- Once Baingan is roasted (to check insert a knife inside the baingan, it should go easily) cool it completely.
- Meanwhile chop onion finely. Wash and chop the coriander.
- Make a coarse paste of ginger, garlic and green chilis.
- Then remove the skin from the baingan. Separate the seeds. Its ok if little bit roasted skin remains on the baingan as it gives smoky taste to Bharta.
- Mash the Baingan using a fork and transfer it to a mixing bowl.
- Add salt, chopped onion and masala paste. Give it a good mix.
- Heat two spoons of oil in a small kadai and add all the tempering ingredients, splutter them and pour it on the Bharta mix.
- Add curds and mix it again. Garnish with coriander and serve.
Baingan Bharta recipe in step by step photos.
Once Baingan is roasted (to check insert a knife inside the baingan, it should go easily) cool it completely. Remove the skin from the baingan.
Mash the Baingan using a fork and separate the seeds. Then transfer it to a mixing bowl.
Add salt, chopped onion and masala paste. Give it a good mix.
Heat two spoons of oil in a small kadai and add all the tempering ingredients, splutter them and pour it on the Bharta mix.
The most important thing to get that real taste of baingan bharta is to roast the baingan or eggplant on direct flame. Though you can microwave it but to get authentic smoky taste you must roast it on flame directly.
You can roast garlic also along with baingan by making slit in baingan and inserting garlic while roasting it. It adds extra flavour to it.
If you want super spicy baingan bharta use more of the green chilies and the red chili powder.
Baingan bharta is best served with roti, chapati or plain paratha. It goes well with rice too.
Try out this easy recipe to make delicious and flavorful side dish which can be enjoyed very well with rotis, chapatis and parathas.
If you’ve tried this Baingan Bharta Recipe then don’t forget to comment and follow my blog. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter to see the new recipes.
Other Recipes from this Blog
What is Baingan Bharta?
Baingan Bharta is a vegetarian Indian side dish which is prepared by grilling or roasting Baingan on a direct flame and mashed and added with minimal spices.
Tips and Notes:
Choosing Baingan for Bharta: Bharta is best when prepared with large or big purple baingan which are firm and glossy looking. Avoid brown steaked one because they contain more seeds.
Roasting baingan on hot charcoal is best to achieve the smoky flavour. Other wise you can air fry them. Roasting on gas stove is what most of the people follow.
Different types of Baingan Bharta prepared in India
In Gujarat, it is called Ringan No Oro, in which the baingan or eggplant is roasted, mashed, and then sautéed with tempering which consists of mustard and cumin seeds, turmeric, red chili powder, ginger and garlic and salt. It is served with bajra no rotlo.
In eastern Uttar Pradesh and western Bihar regions of India it is known as baigan ka chokha.
It is also popular in the Indo-Caribbean communities of Trinidad, Suriname, and Guyana.
In Maharashtra, it is popularly known as Vangyache Bharit. Specially in the northern Khandesh region. It is served in social gatherings including wedding ceremonies. During harvest season, a special “bharit party” is organized.
Hope you all will like this recipe..
See you soon with a new recipe..