Hittina Holige | Rice Flour Stuffed Paratha | Mango Seekarane Recipe
Hittina holige or Rice flour stuffed paratha and Mango Seekarane is the famous combo recipe of Karnataka. Hittina holige or rice flour stuffed paratha recipe is explained with step by step pictures. Hittina holige or rice flour stuffed paratha is made from Maida or plain flour. This recipe is very easy to prepare and is very tasty. Holige is also known as Poli in Marathi and Obbattu in Kannada also. I have named it as Rice Flour Stuffed Paratha because it is prepared in the same way the other parathas are made.
It is served with Mango Seekarane usually. You can have Hittina holige with Paneer masala, Palak paneer or any other gravies also. Mango Seekarane or Mavina Hannina Seekarane or Aam Ras is a sweet dish prepared from sweet ripe mangoes by extracting the mango pulp and mixed with jaggery.
Lets start preparing Hittina holige or Rice flour stuffed paratha and Mango Seekarane
Type: Breakfast or Lunch
Served With : Mango Seekarane, Gravy or Sabji.
Preparation: 10 minutes.
Cooking: 20 minutes.
Cuisine: Karnataka, Maharashtrian
Type: Sweet, Dessert
Served With : Poli, Puran Poli, Bili Holige or Puris.
Preparation: 10 minutes.
Making: 20 minutes.
1. Rice flour : Two Bowls
2. Maida or Plain flour : One and Half bowls
3. Salt : One and half tea spoons
4. Oil : Four tea spoons
5. Water : Two bowls
1. Mangoes : Eight to Ten Ripe
2. Jaggery : One bowl or as required
3. Salt : half tea spoon
4. Cardamom Powder : Half tea spoon
5. Milk : One small bowl.
Procedure for making Hittina Holige/ Rice flour stuffed paratha/ Mango Seekarane
- Firstly, take a mixing bowl and add Maida or plain flour in it. Add half tea spoon of salt and one tea spoon of oil. Mix well and knead a soft dough by adding water accordingly.
- Apply oil and cover the dough with lid. Rest the dough for an hour.
Making Rice flour Stuffing
- In a pan or kadai add two bowls of water and bring it to boil. Add two spoons of oil and one spoon of salt.
- Turn the flame to medium and add two bowls of rice flour slowly in boiling water. Sirt continuously and break the lumps.
- Cover the lid and cook it for five minutes on low flame.
- After five minutes turn off the stove and remove the cooked rice flour in a kneading plate.
- Apply oil or water to your hands and knead the stuffing still it is warm.
- Knead properly and make a soft stuffing.
Making Hittina Holige
- Take a small ball out of maida dough and make it flat by hand.
- Place the ball of the rice flour stuffing (Almost double the size of the maida dough) on it.
- Cover with the maida dough and make a big ball.
- Take a sheet of butter paper or aluminum foil and apply oil on it.
- Place the stuffed dough ball and press it in the form of a holige or paratha.
- Heat the tawa and place the pressed holige along with butter paper or foil upside down.
- Let it cook for one or two minutes on medium flame and then remove the paper or foil slowly.
- Flip the holige and roast the other side also.
- No need to apply oil.
- Flip the holige again and roast evenly on both sides.
- Serve hot with Mango Seekarane and ghee.
Making Mango Seekarane
- Wash the mangoes in water and pat them dry.
- Take big utensil for removing mango pulp.
- In a small bowl pinch out the tip and initial mango juice.
- Press mangoes to make them soft.
- Remove the pulp along with the seed from all the mangoes in the big utensil.
- Scrape the remaining pulp from the mango skin with a spoon.
- Squeeze out the pulp from the seed one by one.
- Wash the seeds with milk to extract all the pulp from the seed.
- Add the milk to the extracted mango pulp.
- Add one bowl of crushed or grated jaggery. Check the sweetness of mango before adding jaggery. So that you can adjust the amount of jaggery to be added.
- Add half tea spoon of salt and cardamom powder and mix well.
- Mango Seekarane is ready to serve. Refrigerate if you like.
Hittina Holige/ Rice flour stuffed paratha/ Mango Seekarane in step by step photos.
Take maida, salt and oil in a mixing bowl.
Take two bowls of rice flour, one tea spoon salt and two tea spoon oil.
In a pan boil two bowls of water and add salt and oil.
Add two bowls of rice flour and mix well without lumps.
Cover the lid and cook for five minutes.
Remove in a kneading plate.
Apply oil or water on hand and knead the stuffing to a soft dough.
Take a small ball of maida dough and big ball of Rice flour stuffing.
Flatten the maida ball and place the stuffing and cover.
Press the dough in the shape of holige o paratha on a butter paper or foil.
Place the holige along with foil on hot tawa. Remove the foil slowly.
Flip the holige and roast other side also.
Wash mangoes and pat them dry. In a small bowl remove the tip and pinch out the initial juice of the mangoes.
In a big utensil squeeze the pulp from the mangoes along with the seed.
Squeeze the seed to extract the pulp from the seed.
Scrape the mango skin to remove pulp from them.
Wash the mango seeds with milk to extract remaining pulp from them.
Add salt and cardamom powder.
Add jaggery to the mango pulp
Refrigerate the Mango Seekarane if needed. Serve with Hittina holige, Puris, Chapatis.
Tips and Notes
- Make the maida dough very soft other wise you cannot pat the holige evenly. And it becomes difficult to spared the stuffing evenly.
- Knead the rice flour stuffing very soft without lumps. Add very little water and knead again if it becomes dry.
- Check the sweetness of mangoes and then add jaggery according to the requirement.
- If possible serve the Holige hot, it doesn’t taste the same after cooling.
- If you want to roll the holige, then make the dough tight like making chapatis.
- Instead of maida , you can make the outer covering all wheat flour or use one cup maida and one cup wheat flour.
- Knead the rice flour stuffing when it is hot / warm only. If you knead after it cool, you will not be able to make a smooth dough.
- You can make the stuffing by adding green chilly, ginger, Palak puree / Methi leaves / coriander leaves etc. to make spicy parathas.
I hope you will enjoy this unique recipe. Do comment and tell me how you liked this.
That’s all for today, see you with a new recipe..
Till then bye take care.